How to fix KMS error in Office 2013 Activation

First of all assume that your KMS is functional, having Office 2013 key installed.  Also the client is able to reach the KMS server on port 1688, and the setting in your internal DNS system is correct.

You can check registry on the client for this:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\KeyManagementServiceName (REG_SZ)

Here are the two commands you can try specify the KMS server and do manual activation.

cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:fqdn_of_your_kms_server

cscript ospp.vbs /act

For Windows activation, the commands are like this:

  1. cscript slmgr.vbs /skms fqdn_of_your_kms_server
  2. cscript slmgr.vbs /ato

Further, you may want to try uninstalling the product key on a client and then reinstalling it.

slmgr /upk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
then slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Reference page from Microsoft: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624355(v=office.15).aspx

DON’T REJOIN TO FIX: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed – The Implbits team blog

DON’T REJOIN TO FIX: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed – The Implbits team blog.

This is a brilliant way to fix the issue.

VM_Login_Error

Also there are two other blogs and a Microsoft thread about the same:

http://dailytweak.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/the-trust-relationship-between-this-workstation-and-the-primary-domain-failed/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2007/01/18/typical-symptoms-when-secure-channel-is-broken.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/winserverDS/thread/ab3920f7-3b43-4673-8124-85ee32daa4b6

Unable to activate Windows Server 2012 against KMS, error code 0x80072EE2

In our environment, we have full implementation of KMS host with the new Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 keys, (I would write about how run this upgrade later).  Somehow, when we tried to activated a deployed Windows Server 2012, we got the following error log: event ID 8200 and 1014 with error code 0x80072EE2.8200

1014

Verified that the firewall port 1688 and DNS records are all fine in where this server is located, and through a few research, I found this thread in TechNet, although the discussion was in 2009, it seems still applicable.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/a466b823-93b8-4911-9ec5-5a1da8a2c265

I got the new client setup key from here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx,

then ran the following commands:

slmgr /ipk XC9B7-NBPP2-83J2H-RHMBY-92BT4
slmgr /ato
 
Voilà!  The Windows Server 2012 is activated!

I guess the root cause could be someone tried to activate this server incorrectly before we started working on it, or that was not from a volume license copy.  I would give credit to cybercoaster in Microsoft forum.  Thanks,

Another link might be useful:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx